Any gURL who has ever been a cheerleader knows that it’s a lot more work than just jumping up and down and screaming — which is why two groups are asking the National Collegiate Athletic Association to recognize cheerleading as a sport.
The New York Times reports that USA Cheer and the National Collegiate Athletics and Tumbling Association argue that cheering requires strength, coordination and everything else that goes along with other sports like football and soccer. The goal is to get colleges to start recognizing cheerleaders as athletes in order to give students athletic scholarships.
“Guess what?” Says Valerie Hagedorn, the head cheerleading coach at Adams State College in Colorado, “We don’t throw balls, we throw people. And we catch them.”
Are you a cheerleader? Do you think cheerleading is a real sport? Have you ever gotten hurt while cheering? Share your stories and thoughts below.
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games