I really need some advice. Basically whenever I have a crush on someone but I find out I can’t be with him, it’s very hard for me to get over that person. Can you help me with tips or ways I can get over someone without feeling uncared for or liked? Please, and thanks so much.
It definitely sucks to be rejected, but unfortunately it’s a part of life that every gURL and guy has to deal with. Still, I know how hard it can be to get over someone you like. Don’t let the feeling of rejection make you feel crappy about yourself — you can’t control how someone feels and if they don’t see how amazing you are, then that’s their loss. It helps to really know and truly believe that you won’t be alone forever.
My tip: Focus on yourself and think about all of the things you like best about who you are. Make a list and keep it nearby so you can read it when you feel really sad. Once you think about how great you are, you’ll start to feel better and realize that the most important person who can care for and love you is you.
I know it’s really hard, but getting your mind off your crush can do wonders. Don’t look at their Facebook or talk about them with your friends, no matter how much you want to. Hang out with your close friends as much as possible. They’ll make you laugh and keep you distracted. Also, start putting your energy into something positive, whether it’s schoolwork, an instrument, or a sport. And remember to appreciate the people who do love and care about you: your family, friends, pets… and they’re way more important than a dumb crush anyway, right?!
I’m not saying it’s easy to get over someone — it can take time and you will feel sad once in a while. But time heals all wounds.
WDYT, gURLs? Do you have trouble getting over a crush? Do you have any tips? Share your stories and advice below.
What’s on your mind? Heather can help! Send her your question at email@example.com.
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games