I missed a few of my pills and then had unprotected sex. I also had unprotected sex after I stopped taking my pill, four days before my period. Could I possibly be pregnant? I’ve tried to look it up but some people say they did and some people say you can’t, I’m really confused.
In this kind of situation, since I don’t know all of the details and I’m not your doctor, I can’t tell you if you could be pregnant or not. But since you had unprotected sex, there’s a definitely a chance that you could be pregnant.
When taken each day as directed, the pill is 99% effective. Even if you forget to take it once in a while it can be 91% effective. But when you’re missing lots of days or consecutive days, and still having unprotected sex — especially while you’re ovulating — the chances of conception are much higher. Planned Parenthood advises that if you have sex within seven days after you’ve missed a pill, you should use a back-up form of birth control, such as a condom or one of these other barrier methods.
Unfortunately, finding out if you’re pregnant isn’t as easy as asking someone or looking up symptoms online. To be sure, take a pregnancy test either at-home or at a doctor’s office. To prevent future scares and to protect yourself from sexually transmitted diseases and infections, consider talking to your doctor about using a contraceptive method that doesn’t rely on memory, like condoms, or look into getting an IUD or the shot
Let me know how it goes, okay?
WDYT she should do, gURLs? Have you ever had a pregnancy scare? Have you ever forgotten to take your pill? Share your stories and advice below.
What’s on your mind? Heather can help! Send her your question at firstname.lastname@example.org.
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games