I love my friend! I really do. But… I’m dating her brother and we really like each other. Everything with us is good. There’s just one problem. My friend wants me to dump him but I won’t, and now shes mad at me. I wanna keep dating my boyfriend but what am I supposed to do about my friend? I want to still be friends and I don’t want this to ruin our friendship.
Being stuck between your friend and your boyfriend is always awkward, especially when they’re related. To ease the drama, have a talk with your friend and smooth things out rather than doing something rash, like ending your friendship or breaking up with your BF.
It might help to look at this from your friend’s perspective — it must be pretty awkward for her. She probably wants you to dump her brother because she’s worried about how the relationship between you two is going to effect her relationship with both of you. For example, if you have a messy breakup, she’s going to feel like she has to choose a side. You need to try to reassure your friend that you would never bring her into a breakup. She could also be feeling protective of her brother’s feelings; telling her how that you really care about him can make her feel better.
Respect her feelings. Agree to not do any major PDA in front of her, in case that grosses her out… which it probably does, since it’s her brother. Promise her that you’ll set aside time for just you two without her brother being around, because she could be worried that she’s going to lose you to him. Also, agree not to complain about him to her so that she’ll never be in the middle of anything. She might not really want to hear anything about your relationship, period. In that case, talk about him to another friend, not her.
Remember to stay sensitive to your friend’s feelings; this is tough for her, too! Good luck. Let me know what happens.
WDYT she should do, gURLs? Have you ever dated your friend’s sibling? Has a friend ever dated yours? What happened? Share your stories and advice below.
What’s on your mind? Heather can help! Send her your question at email@example.com.
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games