I never spend time with my dad! For the school week my dad is always on a business trip and on the weekend he normally rests or has meetings. It’s been like this my whole life and I’m now realizing that I hardly know him. What should I do?
I’m sure that your dad wishes he gets to spend more time with you, too, and that he’d much rather be watching you grow up than spending all of his time at work. Father-daughter relationships can be really great, but dads (like most guys) can be awkward and not so good at communicating. On the bright side, it’s not too late to start getting to know him and you can be the one who makes those first steps.
Since I don’t know your dad, I’m not sure of the best way to approach the topic, but you can start with small gestures, like emailing about school/work or asking him basic advice about something. It’ll open that line of communication and show him that you’re interested in strengthening your relationship. Tell him you miss him and wish him good luck in meetings and on trips. When he’s home, suggest you two do relaxing things together, like reading outside or even watching TV together. He’ll probably be thrilled, even if he isn’t great at showing it. You should talk to your mom about how you’re feeling, too.
And remember that even if he isn’t around, he still loves you. Parents work because they have to and not because they think work is more important than their kids. Take building that relationship one step at a time and remember that those quiet, boring little days together can be the best.
Good luck. Let me know how it goes!
What do you think she should do, gURLs? Do you have a good relationship with your dad? What kinds of things do you two do together? Share your stories and advice below.
What’s on your mind? Heather can help! Send her your question at firstname.lastname@example.org.
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!