In honor of her new book Ask Elizabeth, Elizabeth Berkley (aka Jessie Spano from Saved by the Bell!) is here to answer your questions about life, love and more. Check out her advice all week, and look out for your chance to win a copy of her book on Friday, May 6! Now, on to your questions.
Is it ever okay to cheat? My bf did and told me and is really sorry but I don’t know if I can forgive him. How do you get over that?
First of all, I want you to know that it’s not your fault he betrayed you! So many girls I speak to share with me that they start to question themselves when they’ve been cheated on…how they look, dress, even about their bodies. I want to make sure right now that you are being kind to yourself and know that you didn’t do anything to drive him to do that. When someone decides to cheat, it is about their own insecurity—needing to prove something to themselves.
I don’t think there is anything about cheating that is ok. A relationship has to have a foundation of trust and honesty—in this case with your bf admitting it to you, that is rare and I understand why you are struggling with what to do. You can forgive him for it—holding onto anger and pain only hurts you ultimately. You know that saying You can forgive but you don’t forget?…I think that rings true here. Staying with him in this committed relationship is such a personal decision—is he telling you it won’t happen again? Do you feel respected by him in other aspects of your relationship? Definitely check out my book “Ask Elizabeth” so you can see the section about how to know if you are in the right relationship…I think it may be a good time for you to do a little detective work within your own heart to see if he shows up as the guy you deserve. Let me know what you decide to do—k?
What do you think of Elizabeth’s advice? Have you ever been cheated on? What happened? Discuss below.
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!