Hey! Rachel again, here to answer all of your questions about animal rights! A few weeks ago you submitted questions to gURL.com about veganism, PETA, and more! I’m answering them this week. Check it out!
If everyone in the world were vegan/vegetarian, wouldn’t farm animals go extinct because no one would be there to breed them? Aren’t we kind of keeping them alive?
The simple answer? No. Animals are bred on factory farms (often on things called “rape racks”… yep) only to be mutilated, tortured, and killed to end up on a plate. Every person who takes a stand against cruelty to animals and stops eating animals lessens the demand for these animals to be killed, therefore lessening the number of animals bred. The world isn’t going to go vegan overnight, so animals won’t be overpopulated and “taking over” as some people think.
Yes, factory farms are keeping animals alive, technically—but they live in their own waste, in filthy cages and sheds, bred to be so heavy they can’t walk, confined to cages so small they can’t ever lie down, and are just waiting to have their throats slit or to be dismembered while fully conscious. This is no kind of life for anyone, and animals simply shouldn’t be treated this way.
What do you think, gURLs? Do you know anyone who has a farm and treats their animals well? What’s it like? Share your thoughts in the comments below, and keep your questions comin’! See you soon!
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!