Sophia told me she recently watched a video and decided she wanted to go vegetarian, but that her mom is standing in her way and she’s not sure how to break it to her that she wants to stop eating meat.
This is actually a pretty common problem–you’re not alone! First of all, congratulations on seeing something that was wrong and taking a stand against it.
The best thing to do to break it to your mom is to sit her down and talk to her about why you’ve decided not to eat animals. Videos can speak for themselves–so show her the video at http://www.meat.org and tell her you feel passionately about becoming a healthy vegetarian.
Most likely she’ll be concerned about your health (even though there is little reason to be!) and maybe she’ll wonder what you can eat. Luckily, peta2 has tons of resources that you can share with her! Show her this two week meal plan, our Recipe of the Week blogs, and this guide put together by doctors on eating vegetarian. Giving up animals products can be the best thing you can do for your body–and lessens your chances of heart disease, cancer, stroke, diabetes, and obesity, along with saving lots of animals every year.
She also doesn’t have to worry about you having a lack of options–there are veggie burgers, veggie hot dogs, vegan cheeses, vegan ice creams, and more! You aren’t giving anything up, just choosing the veggie alternatives.
Alright gURLs! Comment below with what YOU think. I’ll be back soon to give you the how-to on answering some common vegan myths (and answering more of your questions!).
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!