I have no confidence or self-esteem whatsoever. I’m always comparing myself to other girls and I’m always so shy because of it. When I’m with my friends, I’m crazy and like non-stop talking, but in school, I don’t talk at all because I’m not confident or anything. And I’m 14, so I’m at that age where I want to talk to guys and stuff but I can’t. How would I be able get my confidence level up and get over my shyness?
Everyone gets shy sometimes. It’s totally normal to feel that way, but if you don’t stop your negative behavior soon, you’re going to miss out on a lot of great opportunities because you’re so hard on yourself. I know it might feel like other gURLs have great confidence and amazing self-esteem, but so many people feel the way that you do at one point or another — some of us are better at hiding their insecurities than others. The key is to not let it stop you from doing things or meeting other people.
An easy way to get your confidence level up is to change the way you think. When you’re feeling shy in a conversation, try not to focus on yourself and whatever is making you self-conscious; concentrate on the other person and what is interesting about her or him. Many times, even though you feel shy, other people can’t tell.
It’s a great sign that you have a group of friends who you feel comfortable around. Obviously, these people like the outgoing, chatty you — and other people will, too! School can be really stressful for anyone since you’re trying to learn, hang out with friends, scope out crushes, and do a lot of things at once. Go easy on yourself, and try to talk and be friendly to the people you sit near in classes. They may even be shy themselves and might be really glad that you started talking to them first.
Good luck, and let me know how it goes.
What do you think, gURLs? Are you shy? How do you get yourself to speak up? Share your thoughts and advice below!
What’s on your mind? Heather can help! Send her your question at email@example.com.
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!