My mom recently found out I cut myself, and now (as me and my sister describe it) we’re in “maximum lock-down”. She took away my eyeliner, bracelets, and anything that could make me look like an emo or that could hide cuts and scars. HELP!
First of all, I’m really sorry that you feel the need to cut yourself. Even though your letter is all about your mom taking away your stuff, your self-injury is definitely the biggest issue at hand. By removing everything she thinks is associated with “cutting culture” (or, like you said, “anything that could make me look like an emo”), your mom is trying to help. Maybe what she’s doing will help, maybe it won’t, but just getting rid of your possessions and putting you on lock-down is definitely not the only way to handle things.
I suggest you talk to a school counselor or a therapist about what’s making you cut in the first place. Self-harm is really serious (and sometimes even deadly) action, and one of the best ways to deal with what you’re going through is by talking about it. You can also check out the Cutting & Self-Mutilation Forum on the Shout Out Boards for support from fellow gURLs.
Once you get your recovery started, explain to your mom that your eyeliner and bracelets are just a way of expressing who you are, and have nothing to do with hurting yourself — as long as that’s the truth. Remember that she ultimately wants to help you because she cares about you. By talking with her and sharing what’s going on in your head, she’ll know exactly what you need for help.
Let me know how it goes, okay?
WDYT gURLs? Have you ever cut? How did you stop? Did your parents find out? Share your stories and advice below!
What’s on your mind? Heather can help! Send her your question at email@example.com.
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!