In celebration of the 100th Anniversary of International Women’s Day, here are some gURLs that paved the way for gURLs like us to live an awesome, (almost) glass ceiling free life. Click on theses ladies below and find out why we have a major reason to party today, and every day.
1. Gertrude B. Stein: Gertrude’s salon on the Left Bank of Paris in the 1920s was as artistically revolutionary as YouTube.
2. Irene-Joliet Curie: You’ve probably heard of Marie Curie, the brilliant chemist who pretty much founded modern physics–but not her Nobel-Prize-winning daughter.
3. Zora Neale Hurston: A page-turning author, Zora played a big part in shaping the Harlem Renaissance, a cultural and artistic movement in the 1920s.
4. Susan B. Anthony: It was when she was told at an 1852 temperance convention that as a woman she should “listen and learn” rather than speak that Anthony dedicated her life to seeing American women get the right to vote.
5. Madam C.J. Walker: One of the first American women of any race or rank to become a millionaire through her own efforts was this plantation-born entrepreneur.
6. Judi Bari: An environmentalist, a union organizer and a folk hero who changed the face of the environmental movement to protect the ancient redwoods in Northern California.
7. Wilma Rudolph: Think you’ve got baggage holding you back? This gURL was afflicted with polio and, by the age of four, was left with only the use of her left leg. But she went on to be an Olympian and the fastest woman in the world.
8. Virginia Woolf: This amazing author spent her life recording women’s experience in novels, essays and diaries.
9. Trieu Thi Trinh: Thousands of years ago, the Vietnamese orphan had had it. The teenager left home, raised an army and established her own independent territory all before she hit 30.
10. Coco Chanel: Chanel replaced the pre-l914 high-maintenance society lady with a modern ideal: the corset-free gal who lived for pleasure, self-invention and independence.
Diverse but united, these women undeniable rock! Who are your favorite, most inspiring dead women? Tell us below who you think deserves a shout out.
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!