According to a new study, YouTube is becoming a resource for cutters. Because of a huge rate of public self harm videos being uploaded, researchers are saying this is “an alarming new trend among youth and young adults and a significant issue for researchers and mental health workers.”
Reports JSYK, “When you search ‘self harm’ on YouTube, over 5,000 related videos pop up, some of which may trigger cutting, burning, picking or other forms of self-injury. The report says that an estimated 14-24 percent of teens engage in this behavior, which is also known as ‘non-suicidal self-injury’ or NSSI.”
Have you ever watched cutting videos online? Do you think it promotes self-mutilation? Comment below!
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!