Big day today: It’s the 95th anniversary of feminist Emma Goldman getting arrested in New York City for lecturing about the upsides of birth control. Party time!
Besides being a righteous babe who rallied for feminism, reproductive rights, free love, homosexuality, and way more, Em was totally quotable. Here’s some of our favorite lines:
“Before we can forgive one another, we have to understand one another.”
“If I can’t dance, I don’t want to be part of your revolution. ”
“When we can’t dream any longer we die.”
“Women need not always keep their mouths shut and their wombs open.”
Do you <3 this gURL? What are your favorite Emma quotes about life? Share!
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!