Barbara Bush, daughter of the ex-Pres George W., is speaking out in support of gay marriage, and the whole world seems to be listening!
In the video below by the Human Rights Campaign that is actively supporting the legalization of same-sex marriage in New York, the former First gURL (as we like to call her) proudly declares: “New York is about fairness and equality, and everyone should have the right to marry the person that they love.”
In 2004, B’s dad pushed for a failed constitutional amendment that would have completely banned gay marriage in the US. In 2010, her mom Laura Bush, actually “came out” and said that she supported gay marriage: “I think there are a lot of people who have trouble coming to terms with that because they see marriage as traditionally between a man and a woman… But I also know that when couples are committed to each other and love each other that they ought to have the same sort of rights that everyone has.”
Do you think Barbara and her mom’s opinions are enough to help create change, or do you think they’ll need to recruit Dubya before they can convince the country? Discuss.
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!