I’m really uncomfortable to be talking about this… but I think I may be attracted to my sister.
First of all, I’m a gURL. My family is very Christian, and my parents are against homosexuality, so even if it wasn’t my sister, I would still have a problem.
Second of all, IT’S MY SISTER! I can’t get over how wrong that is. I feel disgusting and horrible for even thinking like that! She’s nearly four years older than me, and she’s really pretty but… OMG. I don’t know what’s wrong with me.
It’s really brave of you to share what you’re going through. It’s actually not that unusual for young people exploring their sexuality to fantasize about their siblings. Think about it: sex can be so confusing and scary, and siblings are safe and familiar. We often grow up hugging and kissing them, after all. For most people, it’s easy to push those inappropriate thoughts away and never think about them again, but for others, it’s not so simple.
Remember that female sexuality is fluid, and that the very idea of sex or taboo behavior (and incest — sexual intercourse between close relatives — is about as taboo as behaviors come) can turn a gURL on. Since you’ve been raised in a home that doesn’t accept all types of sexuality, it makes sense that your particular attraction is a little bit on the extreme side.
Focus your attention away from your sister and instead on someone who you would be able to pursue your desires with. You’ll come to find that there are people who you’d much rather want to be with physically, and that your older sister is a more of a symbol of sexual empowerment or discovery for you, rather than a sex object.
As for your parents, there’s no rush in talking to them about your sexuality if you think they’ll disapprove. Like I’ve said before: Work on feeling more comfortable with yourself first. This is your time to grow a healthy sexual appetite, and that’s what you should be concentrating on.
Hang in there, and let me know how everything goes.
Do you agree with Heather’s advice?
What’s on your mind? Heather can help! Send her your question at email@example.com.
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!