Waiting is the hardest part, right? So what if you’re a late bloomer? It can be excruciating to wait, especially when the last thing you expect happens:
I was so excited when I FINALLY got my period. I didn’t get it until I was 14 years, 7 months and 22 days old. So I was the last person of my friends to get it. My mom told me that if I didn’t get it by the time I was 15, I’d have to go to the gyno. So while I was freaking out as my 15th birthday came near, I got the worst news ever!
My younger sister got it before I did! She got hers when she was 12 and three months; a full three months before I did! What kind of dirty trick was God playing on me? I felt like the most desperate Margaret in the world (Except, I have grown a nice B-cup). My sister didn’t rub it in or anything, but my mom was so excited! She had pads and tampons that were supposed to be for me on hand in her bathroom. Seeing those tampons, pads and panty liners under the sink every day for the three months leading up to my final moment was awful. I wondered what was wrong with me and if I was ever going to have kids…I was jealous when my sister ruined her first pair of underwear. I couldn’t believe how grown up she seemed in front of her friends. I know now I was just looking for signs of growing up — she didn’t really act any differently. I just reallllly wanted to believe that getting it meant that I could grow up.
When I got it, I actually kept the secret for about three hours. I wanted to see if anyone would be able to tell. But the first thing my mom said when she saw me that Saturday afternoon was to set the table for dinner. I told her, and my whole family, over dessert. After all, it was a sweet, expected, surprise.
Did you or anyone you know get theirs late too? Share below! What’s your First Period story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org, or share it in the comments!
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!