I’m going to a pool party but have no idea how to shave my pubes!

hi heather,
I’m fifteen, and I got invited to a pool party! I have a bikini, but the problem is that I don’t think I shave my pubic hair correctly. It’s usually showing, and I don’t shave all of it. Is it safe to shave all the hair? And should I use a razor?

(P.S. my mom doesn’t want me to wax)

Pool parties are so much fun, but the anxiety over what to do with your hair down there can be so…unfun! Luckily, we’re total pubes experts, so first step is to check out our Fast Facts on Your Pubes.

|Another gURL asked if she should shave it all off for sex! Do you think she should?|

Pubic hair is very stubborn. Some gURLs have no problems shaving their pubes, but most are sensitive and prone to rashes or in-growns. I don’t know how thick you are, but I think the best solution for the immediate bikini area is a combination of shaving and plucking. It’s totally safe to do either!

Make sure you have a new razor when going for your bikini line. I recommend and prefer using a men’s 5-blade razor. They’re pricier than women’s, but they’re also more flexible, sharper, and better if your skin is sensitive. I also recommend using a bikini-specific shave gel, like Bikini Zone’s.  Slide the razor around your inner thighs and up to about 3 inches away from your bikini line. This should get rid of any fine darker hairs without causing irritation.

|Ever wonder what other gURLs do with their pubes? Check out this national study!|

Then, switch to tweezers. Revlon makes a numbing gel if you think it’s too painful, but gently pull (don’t yank) the darker stubborn hairs out of your skin. Work your way inwards until you’re about half an inch past what shows out of the side of your bikini. You will want to have a safety zone to appease that anxiety. If you decide to shave over this area instead, lather on lots of shaving gel, and try not to shave over the same area more than once or twice. And, keep your razor in the direction opposite the hair growth.

I wouldn’t recommend shaving off the whole area, as the regrowth is impossibly itchy and uncomfortable, but there are many gURLs out there who may disagree. Either way, make sure you exfoliate the area every day with a gentle face scrub or Completely Bare’s Bikini Bump Blaster pads.

You can try out different hair removal methods if you like, but ultimately it’s all about what you like and how you think you look and feel best.

take care,
heather

How do you handle your pubes? Do you agree with Heather’s advice?

What’s on your mind? Heather can help! Send her your question at heather@gurl.com.

more ways to get gURLy:

Posted in: Body Issues, Help Me Heather
Tags: ,

1. avatar Paige says:

Is it ok if you shaved your hair before a checkup? Will they think you’re bald or something?

2. avatar jenni says:

i have the same problem :(

3. avatar tffvfde says:

ioluin

4. avatar Mari says:

I usually try to shave it all but it seems that the dark little black hairs are still present!! Do I have to pluck every single one?

5. avatar teehee says:

I shave it all off,usually.Tayor..if you don't shave in the opposite direction,it doesn't work very well.But if you haven't shaved in a while,it might be painful..so trim it with scissors,until it's pretty thin,and then shave it.If you're planning on putting lotion around that area,do it afew hours later.And of course,use a fairly new razor.

6. avatar Kayla says:

this was very helpful i learned alot but this only covered the top and sides what about the inner parts like the lips and round up the back. thoes areas can cause me problems and is hard to shave if u cant see them. especially when using a razor.so can u answer that heather or anybody (please). that is what i struggle with.

7. avatar nikka says:

this wasnt very helpful

8. Pingback: Local Search and Find

9. avatar Jayne says:

I've been 'taking it all off' for years as well – what works best for me is to use a bikini-line specific hair removal cream (Note: ALWAYS test it somewhere else first to make sure you don't react!) I have sensitive skin and I use one for sensitive skin and have no problems. After I've used the cream for the alloted time I use a razor to do the rest – the hair is always softer and much easier to remove this way than just plain shaving. Plus, no lumps or bumps with this method (as far as I've found…)

10. avatar Christie says:

I literally shave it ALL I go over the lips and everything I don't find it too itchy really. unless it grows out too much in between shaves. I then shave against the growth on the pelvic bone area. Sometimes this causes nicks so the best thing to do for that is cold water to keep the swelling down and stop the bleeding. If you do this for a special event do it at least two days before so any nicks and cuts can heal and any bumps can go away. I usually just use soap…i would never use a shaving cream…that's weird. and could probably cause infection. ( if scented). other than that its pretty self explanatory.

11. avatar marina says:

after i shave the bikini area i just trim it all down to about a 1/2 inch to a 1/4 inch. its my lady beard! i have to keep it well groomed. women should reconize the fashion power that they have with their lady beards! i know some one who dyed her's green to match her hair!

12. avatar Kate K Milo says:

using a moisturizer with vitamin e is helpful because it helps your skin be firm, which avoids ingrown hairs (ouchies!!)

13. avatar Evah says:

From my experience, it works best to shave WITH hair first (to get rid of as much as you can, or at least thin it out a little) and then (lightly!!) shave AGAINST the grain. Also, although this might not work for a pool party, putting a little bit of antiperspirant deodorant on the areas you've shaved (like your leg crease and pubic bone) will realllly help keep the bumps from showing up!

14. avatar cee says:

Use an antibacterial soap on the area to keep the rash bumps down. And wait — a pool party in January? Wouldn't this question be better in like June?

15. avatar sarah says:

i have thicker, darker hair so i have been shaving it all for many years. its less to think about: "did i miss a spot, is it showing out the side, etc" … but yes use shaving cream or soup and make sure to shave it slowly … dont use a dull razor either. good luck! =)

16. avatar taylor says:

oh my gosh, DONT shave in the direction opposite hair growth! go with the grain, not against.

17. avatar alli says:

I shave it all ,and have for a few years. I use a men's razor and shave gel. Remember to take your time, and like Heather said, only one or two strokes in the same place or it gets rashy. I also use lotion afterward, like Aveno or similar to keep the redness down.