I have a crush on my best friend’s brother. We’ve flirted with each other for a long time, and I’ve started to like him. Then one night we actually shared a small kiss when my best friend brought me on vacation with her family. She saw it. She’s asked me not to date him. I feel very lucky that we’re still best friends, but I still have feelings for her brother and there’s a possibility that he likes me too. Although I really don’t want to ruin our friendship and her brother is known to be a player. Her brother and I are still flirting with each other, but I don’t know what to do now. Please help!
While it’s a bummer that your best friend is sort of making you choose between her and her bro, I’m hoping there’s a good reason. I’m hoping it’s not because she’s jealous because she wants your time, but because she’s protecting you from his “player” behavior.
I think it’s OK to ask what her specific complaints are with the relationship, if it were to happen. Having an open and frank talk about what she’s feeling could be really helpful for you and your relationship! And it could uncover the good reason she has for not wanting you two to hook up.
What you do with your friendship is entirely up to you, but I think there really shouldn’t be a choice in the matter. If you and her brother do have feelings for each other, take things slowly, and are respectful to her, then she shouldn’t want to stop you two from taking the next step. But if your intentions are otherwise, maybe she feels protective and threatened. If that’s the case, then you shouldn’t pursue the hook up.
What’s on your mind? Heather can help! Send her your question at email@example.com.
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!