I asked out this guy at school who I’ve liked for AGES. When I did, he said yes. I was siked. Then, out of the blue, all his friends started saying, “He said ‘yes’ as a joke”. I asked him myself and he told me he did! I felt terrible. How will I ever get over this?!
First of all, good for you for asking out the guy you liked! Not many gURLs would do that, so I applaud you for being so bold and making the first move with your crush. But I’m sorry to hear that things didn’t work out the way you’d anticipated them to.
Why was this guy being such a jerk? I can’t tell you. For some reason, guys sometimes think it’s funny to play with gURLs’ emotions, and unfortunately that’s something that they really won’t outgrow until they get older and more mature. Guys in middle school and high school can be real pests sometimes, can’t they?
But, you can’t let this get you down. What was a joke to this guy and his friends was just that — a joke. He was probably trying to look cool to his friends and figured that being obnoxious was the best way to do that. He most likely didn’t even factor your feelings into the equation at all and was just thinking about himself when he played you.
The truth is, this guy is probably so immature that if any gURL had asked him out he would’ve said “yes” as a joke to them too. You shouldn’t perceive it as a personal attack or him not liking you, because it’s obvious to me that this guy isn’t ready for a date with anyone.
As for how you can get over it? Promise me when I tell you that you will. It’ll probably take time, and it may take a few guys who do like you to realize that one not liking you doesn’t matter. But until that happens, just be proud of yourself for making the first move, and realize that this loser so isn’t worth your time anyway.
What’s bothering you? Heather can help! Send her your question at email@example.com.
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!