I am 14 years old, almost 15, and the thought of sex repulses me. I’m not saying that I should be totally eager to have sex, but I can’t even look at a picture of a penis without wanting to throw up. I know I’m not a lesbian, because I find men attractive, but when I even think about more than making out with them, I want to scream in disgust. I really don’t know why, but I’m just seriously grossed out by sex. Is this normal? I am more mature than my friends in most subjects except for this!
Sex is a personal choice so don’t feel discouraged or different just because you’re not interested in it yet. Your friends may be more open to the idea, but it’s completely fine if you aren’t. Just remember that people mature faster than others in different ways. You might look older or act more sophisticated, but it’s perfectly fine to not even want to think about sex. Don’t worry, you’re still normal even if you are disgusted by it right now.
It’s also important not to give in to peer pressure. Just because your friends are eager to have sex doesn’t mean you have to. It’s not a race. Sex might appeal to you more as you get older or when you find someone you really care about, but don’t beat yourself up because you’re not interested in it at the same time as your friends. It’s great to have different values and you should stand behind them.
I bet it’s hard to hear all your friends talking about sex if you have no interest in it, but try to remember that they’re just curious. You should tell them how you feel so they know you aren’t annoyed at them and it’s just your personal belief.
Chances are sex will get brought up a lot as you age, but it’s alright to not be interested now. Your feelings will change over time.
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers q’s daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!