MTV’s new show Skins is premiering Monday, January 17, and not gonna lie, we’re pretty freakin’ excited. Personally, we couldn’t get enough of the U.K. version, about a group of teens who are rebelling against their parents, experimenting, and finding themselves in the world.
And just like the original, the adapted MTV version talks a lot about something you’re already doing or thinking about doing: Having sex. Sure, we could beat around the bush and pretend gURLs weren’t losing their virginities as young as 13, but we’ll leave that up to your parents instead.
For those of you who are losing your v-cards at such a young age, there’s a lot of confusion that comes along with it. That’s why we asked gURL readers like you to share their experiences in the Shout Out Boards.
And voila — we’ve compiled your answers into a list of things we wish we knew before we did it:
We wish we knew that it doesn’t matter if your friends around you are having sex, only you know when the time is right.
We wish we knew never ever to put ourselves at risk by doing it without a condom. We got lucky, but some gURLs didn’t and had to deal with the consequences of unwanted pregnancy or STDs.
We wish we knew a little bit more about man parts. Knowing what your guy is feeling is just as important as him knowing what you’re feeling!
We wish we knew that being in doubt means don’t do it. If there’s any small part in you that is doubting having sex, listen to it.
We wish we knew sex is not as glamorous as it looks on TV.
We wish we knew that the emotional after-effects of having sex sometimes last longer than having sex itself.
We wish we knew that guys can’t really tell if you’re a virgin or not.
We wish we knew how uncomfortable sex could be for the first time. And how much blood can be involved when a gURL’s hymen breaks during sex.
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!