My best friend and I have had problems this year. At the beginning of the school year she liked this guy. He is two years older than us and she started to hang out with all of the people in his grade. I’m fine with that but she forgot all about me and when I tried talking to her about it she denied it and started to be a brat. I told her that she was being a brat but she denied it again and just started to shut me out again. It has happened a lot. I don’t know whether I should remain B.F.F’s with her or just shut her out like she did to me. What do I do Heather?
Relationships inevitably will ebb and flow. If it’s not for boys, it’s for work, school, sports, or whatever comes in and out of our lives. As best friends you are supposed to be there for each other for everything, but of course in this case, you feel she’s not. That is rough.
Every gURL can get a little boy crazy, and it seems like she is right now. Take it for what it is. It’s not personal; it’s not because she doesn’t love you anymore. Sure, it hurts, but it’s not about you, it’s about her wanting attention from some boys.
I think you should remain friends with her, but just for now, remove the “best” from her title. I think it’s OK to demote someone who hasn’t been super thoughtful and friendly, as a friend should be. That said, your shared history shouldn’t just be dropped! Think of this an an opportunity to get to know one of your other friends even better and build another lasting bond that can survive thick and thin!
I have a feeling, with your current BFF, this is just one of those thin parts, so hang in there.
What’s troubling you? Let me help! Send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!