i’ve been dating a guy on and off for about 4 years and he was recently sentenced to
three years in prison. Is it wrong to date other people and still date him or is it
ok since he won’t be around for a long time. I really love him and i’ll always be
here for him. help me heather!!!
On and off for four years, huh? Before I even read the rest of that sentence, I was already questioning the strength of your relationship.
That’s really sweet of you to want to be there for him but depending on the kind of crime he committed, he may not really be worth it for you (you could be risking your own safety, health, and law-abiding ways for him, and for what? Love? Not a good enough reason. At all.).
Without knowing what he did to make it into jail, it’s hard for me to help you decide if he’s someone you should keep in your life. But regardless of the crime he committed, I will strongly urge you to not date him anymore. Ever. It might be difficult to say or do, but I think you should end it with him. Love is not unconditional — love is something that happens when both parties involved have a mutual respect for each other and each others values.
What’s troubling you? Let me help! Send your questions to email@example.com.
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!