i found out recently i have genital herpes…i haven’t gone to the doctor because i don’t know where to go…i have a boyfriend right now and he doesn’t know i have it…we haven’t been sexually active but i’m afraid to tell him because i don’t want to loose him….PLEASE HELP ME…i don’t have anyone else to talk to about this…
I can definitely understand why you are afraid to tell your boyfriend that you have herpes. Not only is it uncomfortable for you, but you also do run the risk of that little bit of news changing the way he feels about you. So many people with STDs have to go through this and it’s really tough!
Bottom line: You can’t let your fear stop you from harming him. If you care about him in the slightest, you’ll sit him down and let him know the facts about Herpes and how it can be transmitted and treated. Finish up by letting him know that you hope it doesn’t change the way he feels about you but if it does, you understand.
If he leaves, it’s a major bummer, but honestly, gURL, it’s for the better. The right guy for you will love you for who you are and will help you learn the symptoms, track them, and take the risk if the time is right. If there’s an upside to Herpes, and this is a stretch, it’s that you will forever more get to filter a lot of bad dudes out of your life.
Please tell your parents and get treated immediately by a gynecologist. If you can’t tell them, though you should, you can look up local clinics in your town. Bring a friend along with you. No boy will stick around if you’re letting the disease go uncontrolled.
Have you had to tell somemone you have an STD? What was that like?
What’s troubling you? Let me help! Send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!