I met a guy online and I really like him. The only problem is he’s across the country. I know that meeting people online is dangerous but I feel like people don’t understand the connection I have made with him. Is it wrong for me to date a boy I met online?
I’m definitely an advocate for online dating. Many people are more comfortable meeting people online than in person, so online dating is a perfect way for them to do that. But cyber dating should be used solely for beginning a relationship, not maintaining one.
You say you have a connection with this guy, but let’s be honest — can you really establish a legit bond with someone you’ve never even met face to face? Probably not. What you’re mistaking for “liking” him is probably just you “liking” the attention he’s giving you in cyberspace.
Also, it’s important to think about all the factors here. He lives very far away, so you can’t assume dating someone who lives across the country and who has never even met you will remain faithful to you. And besides, would you really want to remain faithful to him under those circumstances?
I’m not saying online dating never works out, because many times it does. But for the relationship with this particular guy to work, you need to meet him in person and see if sparks fly the same way when you’re physically together as they do when you’re cyber chatting. In the meantime, get off your computer and start meeting guys in person!
The holidays can be a crazy time of mixed messages! What are you worried about? What’s troubling you? Let me help! Send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!