Could her period’s timing be any better? Or worse?
I got my first period the night of my 13th birthday. It was awful. I had read Are You There God, It’s Me Margaret? at least 15 times so I knew exactly what it was and I was so upset. The thing was, that even though I knew what it was, I didn’t want it. I thought if I ignored it, it’d go away. So I put some toilet paper in there and thought that’d do.
My best friend at the time was sleeping over and when I came back from the bathroom, I tried to act like nothing had happened. She kept asking me (she’s a persistent kind of person) over and over and over why I was acting all weird. I just flipped on the TV and ignored her too. I wasn’t mad. I was traumatized!
So, I kept my secret for another 4 months. I couldn’t tell my mom or anyone! I just wanted it to go away! Until… one day, the bleeding got out of control. I was at a restaurant eating lunch and had bled through my shorts. It was broad daylight and I was sure everyone would be able to see. I was so embarrassed. I had to tell my mom! She drove me home immediately, and made me sit on a wad of paper towels so I wouldn’t stain the car seat. She was so excited though. She called my grandmother immediately and I guess we had a womanly moment as she passed the phone to me and my grandmother congratulated me. But what did I do? Nothing! It wasn’t something I worked for! It just happened. And I hated it. Am I the only one who hated getting her period?
Well, is she? Share your first period stories below or send in yours to be published at firstname.lastname@example.org.
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!