Do YOU know your HIV status? If you don’t have an immediate answer to that question, what better time to get tested than today? It is World AIDS Day, after all.
World AIDS Day is an attempt to spread universal awareness about Human Immunodeficiency Virus and Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, a problem that, despite what you may think, hits all corners of the globe.
Recent coverage of AIDS often paints it as a third world problem (e.g. places far away from where we are!), but they’re closer than you think. MTV’s airing a new documentary today, “Me, Myself and HIV,” at 2pm ET/PT (and 6 pm ET/PT on MTVu) to prove just that. It follows two HIV+ young adults; one lives all the way out in Zambia, Africa; the other is from Minnesota. It just goes to show that HIV and AIDS can strike closer than you think.
Is AIDS and HIV on your radar? Is it a problem you associate with third world countries? Or have you or someone you know ever been affected by it? Is AIDS a big deal to you?
P.S. If you’ve had unprotected sex or used unsterilized needles you’re at risk! Have you been tested?
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!