It’s that time of the week again! First period! This gURL was “Destined” to get it right when she did:
I got my period on or around January 13, 2001. I distinctly remember that period (ha!), because it was a couple days before one of my good friend’s 12 birthday (January 15th) and she was having a party that day because we didn’t have school. I remember thinking, “Oh no! I have Amy’s party. What if I can’t go?!” Anyway, this is how it went down:
I woke up on a Saturday morning and called my best friend for our normal weekend morning chats. She blabbed on about her boyfriend, as I flipped through the latest issue of Seventeen – Destiny’s Child was on the cover – and played Ja Rule’s “Put It On Me” in the background. Once she stopped yapping, I told her I’d call her back and went to use the bathroom because I had a very big stomach ache and thought I was a.) going to throw up or b.) blow up the bathroom toilet with a bowel movement.
When I sat down on the toilet, I heard a large plop. I knew nothing came out of my derrière and instantly assumed I got my period. I looked down and was correct. I was annoyed. I wasn’t ready to start wearing pads, nor did I want to grow up just yet. Getting my period meant that I was “becoming a woman.” Excited or not, I ran up the stairs and woke my mom up (she worked the grave yard shift at the hospital).
“Mommy! I got my period!” I yelled as I shook her. She woke up in a frantic and told me to go grab a pad from the bathroom. I told her I already had one on because I saved some from the “Growing Up Program” the previous year in school. She told me to sit down and we had “the talk.” My mother told me that I wasn’t allowed to let any boys touch me inappropriately and that my Tomboyish ways were over. I now had to act like a woman.
Do you have a first period story? Share with us! Email firstname.lastname@example.org! Or, you can share it in the comments below.
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!