Can 2 girls have protected sex?
Yes, they can! When gurls have sex with gurls, they don’t have to worry about birth control– but they can and should do things to protect themselves from STDs, both of which can be transmitted through vaginal fluids and saliva.
| If you’re a gurl who is experimenting with other gurls, get advice and help on the Shout Out Boards. |
Protected sex for girls who sleep with girls isn’t about condoms (unless they’re sharing sex toys); instead, it means using other forms of barrier protection. The chances of disease transmission are increased if there are even tiny cuts in someone’s mouth or on their hands, through which germs can enter the bloodstream. Dental dams, cut-open condoms, Glyde dams and plastic wrap (the kind used in the kitchen) can be used during cunnilingus to cover the vaginal area. For sex involving fingers, latex gloves and individual finger coverings called finger cots can be used.
Of course, no matter who is involved, the safest sex of all is no sex at all…
send in your questions for heather to firstname.lastname@example.org.
did you know that gURLs can give each other STD’s too? hit the comments.
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!