I just found out that my mom got cancer and I’m not depressed or sad. Is this a bad thing, considering my mom could die?
I’m really sorry to hear about your mom. There’s no one way to deal with news of this magnitude, you know. Some people, when faced with such an enormous blow, grow numb and only feel the waves of pain and fear later. I have a feeling that may be what’s happening to you.Is your mother in a cancer treatment program? These programs usually have special counselors to help family members deal with the emotions that come up (or don’t come up) when a relative is diagnosed with cancer. Adolescent psychiatrist Dr. Frederyka Shabry cautions, however, that some counseling programs emphasize support for the person with cancer and his or her spouse, but may not offer as much direct support to the children involved. If this is the case, I would recommend speaking up about your needs. The treatment center, if your mother is involved with one, may offer individual or group counseling, or both.
If she is not in a coordinated care program, I’m sure there are people you can to turn to–family members, school counselors, or other trusted adults. It would probably help to find a “safety net” to help you explore your emotions when and if they do rise to the surface.
The best to you and your family.
send in your questions for heather to firstname.lastname@example.org.
have you had a family member diagnosed with cancer? share with other gURLs below.
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!