Ok. I have excessive body heat. I probably sweat under my arms, more than any other girl my age. I have used EVERY kind of antiperspirant (for girls and guys) and NOTHING works. I walk upstairs, or sit and read-and my armpits are already wet! It is so embarrassing and when I see it, I want to cry. What do I do about it?
When you’re feeling like a human furnace it is sometimes hard to remember that sweating, uncomfortable as it is, is a totally necessary and useful body function. Sweat is the body’s way of cleansing and cooling itself naturally and everybody does it. I know this problem is not in your head–it’s just that sometimes people are hyper-aware of their own bodies; could there be a chance that you’re noticing this “excessive body heat” more than anyone else really does?
Different remedies work for different people so you need to keep trying to discover if there is something out there for you but it seems like you are already trying things out. Generally speaking, antiperspirants are thought to be potentially hazardous to your health because they contain aluminum chlorohydrate (though there are no conclusive studies on the harm of aluminum chlorohydrate). Clothes and underwear made of natural fibers (cotton, wool, silk) absorb and ventilate wetness best and so wearing these fibers can help to keep you drier.
If this problem persists and you really feel like you are generating an unusual amount of body heat and sweat, you might want to consider talking to your parents and heading to a doctor. A doctor might be able to help you figure out if you have a medical problem (sometimes excessive sweating can be the result of a thyroid condition or a side effect of some medication your taking) and, should there be a problem, figure out ways to treat it.
send in your questions for heather to email@example.com. oh, and do you sweat a lot like this gURL? share below!
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!