18-year-old Esther Petrack, America’s Next Top Model’s first ever Modern Orthodox Jewish contestant who was kicked off last night (sad!), gave us a sec to talk about her body image this morning…She came under the gun of the Jewish blogosphere when her perceived lack of observance of the Sabbath (it was just bad editing), even prompting her mom to leave a comment on a rabbi’s blog in defense of her daughter. Plus, the modesty rules that she was raised with posed some particularly interesting problems for her, but we got her opinion on how to deal with society’s expectations.
gURL: You were raised and still practice Modern Orthodox Judaism. Did you ever have a WTF moment?
Esther: I come from a school where the dress code is skirt below the knees and short sleeves and not to reveal anything. There definitely were times where I was like, “I’m on national TV in underwear with like feathers.”
gURL: You’re a little bustier/curvier than the other gURLs, did you ever feel self-conscious during the competition?
Esther: I did feel very self-conscious. But it’s my body and we’re all different. You know, maybe some girl sitting at home watching was like “Yay, she looks like me!”
What did you think about seeing Esther on ANTM? Share your thoughts below!
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!