What is love? I personally believed that love doesn’t exist, but as of late I think I am in love, but I have never experienced it before. I want to know what it is like to be in love and is it possible at my age (16) to be in love? Is it possible to have the mental growth to have that emotion?
There are several definitions of the word in the dictionary, but basically, love is an intense emotional attachment, usually involving a deep and tender feeling of affection and concern toward a person. As the song goes, love is a many-splendored thing.
There are, of course, different kinds of love. There’s romantic love, like you might feel for someone you would date, and there’s the love you can feel for your family or a pet or your close friends. There’s also the kind of love that you might feel for a school or a team or something that you are really into.
Sometimes people differentiate the feelings of loving someone versus being “in love” with someone.
I think it is possible for someone who is in their teens to feel like they are in love with someone–that is, having exciting, romantic, crush-like feelings for someone. But I also think it’s possible, at that age, to love someone: to have feelings that remain even after the giddiness or crush-like emotions might fade away.
People who are the same age can be wildly different in terms of maturity level and the sort of things they believe. Keep in mind that even though you may be in love with or love your first boy/girlfriend, it’s not uncommon for those feelings to change as you get older–although it is also possible for someone to love the same person romantically for a very long time.
send in your questions for heather to firstname.lastname@example.org. oh, and do you believe in love? share below!
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!