Is there any way I can get free or cheap birth control without my parents knowing? I’m 18, but I am still on my parents’ insurance. I don’t even know if I want to have sex yet, but I am in a very committed relationship and would like to be prepared without alarming my parents.
Kudos to you for considering safe sex options in advance. When you do decide that you’re ready to have sex, you’ll be prepared. Planned Parenthood offers cheap, effective birth control (and lots of sexual health support!) to people who cannot otherwise afford it. They have a myriad of birth control methods, from oral contraceptives to patches to diaphragms.
Target and Wal-Mart both offer $9 birth control prescriptions as part of their $4 Prescription Drug Program. Because they are so inexpensive, you can afford these with or without insurance.
Remember that regardless of what kind of birth control you choose, condoms are still a must to sufficiently protect you from STDs.
send in your questions for heather to firstname.lastname@example.org. oh, and what kind of birth control do you use, if you use one? did you have to ask to get it? do you like it?
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!