Who writes the rules about what is appropriate at what age? Days after Miley Cyrus’s video for “Who Owns My Heart” was deemed practically X-rated by the Parents Television Council, HollywoodLife.com Editor-in-Chief Bonnie Fuller went totally bra-llistic on Miley in an open letter for not wearing a bra in public. What’s more? She even got psychotherapist Dr. Gilda Carle to “diagnose” Miley’s behavior:
“[She’s] mistaking the “shock” attention [she’s] getting for positive attention. It’s not. It’s giving out the absolutely wrong message to men. She’s teasing boys, and men, into thinking she is ready to do things that she’s not ready to do — emotionally and psychologically.”
But are Bonnie and Gilda missing the point here?
All this fuss over not wearing a bra? If you’re going to put up a fight, shouldn’t it be about the t-shirt? Do you think she’s right to criticize a gURL for exercising her right to not wear a bra?
And then, there’s the other 17 year old making headlines: Taylor Momsen. The Gossip Girl starlet has been under the media microscope for a year as a pretty reckless gURL. Admittedly, she has dabbled in some interesting behaviors (e.g. pyro-tendencies), but her wardrobe has certainly caused the biggest ruckus. No more so than her cover shoot for Revolver Magazine, where she’s channeling the streets with her signature extensions and heavy black eyeliner along with real revolvers (that’s appropriate, sorta, right?) and reeeaaallllly high heels.
Some people are screaming, “she’s only 17!” (yup, Bonnie exercised her right to bear arms again). But she’s 17! Who is to decide what she’s ready for or not ready for? Who is to decide what is an adult? A law? Or is it arbitrary?
Do you think these gURLs are dressing too sexy for 17? Or are they testing the boundaries as many young women do? Is Bonnie Fuller being a prude? Do you agree with her?
We need to hear your opinions, gURLs, so Shout Out below!
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!