As a feminist (OK, sometimes I fail) with a degree in gender studies, double standards don’t surprise me, but they do need attention.
Case in point: Guys like John Mayer being called “studs” while they participate in the exact same sexual behaviors as a gURL like Snooki from Jersey Shore, but the gURL is called a “slut.” Obviously degrading for one sex and NOT the other.
Who decides what constitutes sluttiness? And why is the bar set so much lower for women?
Take a peek at my exclusive video below — I not only call out this ugly double standard, but Snooki’s “friend” from Jersey Shore , Sammi Sweetheart joins in on the debate and sets the record straight on Snooki’s alleged sluttiness (though, she doesn’t exactly know who John Mayer is…but does that matter?).
So what is a slut to you? When do you think we will get to the point where engaging in responsible sexual acts with multiple partners is not considered slutty, and is considered studly, like the boys? Post comments below!
Read up on Sammi’s exclusive gURL.com Q&A where she dishes on the cast, healthy eating habits, and what she wants to do after Jersey Shore.
And gURLs? I’m around and here for you so email me your questions, opinions, and confessions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!