Welcome to the launch of gURL.com’s Health, Sex & Relationships blog! I’m Lena Chen, I’m 23, a recent grad from Harvard University and your new go-to on gURL for all things advice, sex, health and relationship driven. I’m super excited about this project.
When I announced on my personal blog that I would be writing for gURL, I heard from tons of readers and friends who read and loved the website during their teens. I know exactly how they feel, because I was a big fan of gURL myself. In fact, my first-ever email address was hosted on the site! It was my go-to resource for all my questions about body image, puberty, dating, sex, and growing up. Without it, I would have entered high school woefully uninformed, and even a decade later (whoa, that makes me sound old), I still feel a lot of gratitude towards gURL’s founders Esther Drill, Heather McDonald, and Rebecca Odes. The fact that gURL remains so memorable to my friends and me is a testament to its impact.
Those are big expectations to live up to, but I think I’m up for the task! Here are some additional quick facts about me:
• I never saw snow until I went to college. I’m originally from California, but I moved to the East Coast to attend Harvard University, where I majored in Sociology and minored in Studies of Women, Gender, & Sexuality.
• Sex And The Ivy, the sex blog I started in 2006 as an undergrad, went from being a shared secret among girlfriends to a mini-phenomenon. It’s been featured in The New York Times and Newsweek, which called me the “poster girl for … a group of brainy girls gone wild.” Um, thanks?
• During my senior year of college, I organized Rethinking Virginity, a conference at Harvard about the virginity ideal, its religious and economic history, and its role in shaping female sexuality today. (We’ll be exploring more of these issues in upcoming blog posts!)
• I have an inexplicable attraction to all things Hello Kitty-related.
• A big part of my college years was devoted to advocating for queer rights.
• I’ve been in a relationship for the past two-and-a-half years and I currently live with my partner and our bulldog in Boston. They’re Yalies, so there’s kind of a school rivalry going on at our house.
• I discuss sexual health and relationships in videos and blog posts for SexReally. (I host a webcast called Sex Really With Lena Chen.) I also write daily on my new blog, The Chicktionary, about feminism, race, privilege, and the random things that amuse me.
The most important fact to keep in mind? I love getting comments, questions, and emails from readers, so don’t hesitate to write me anytime you’ve got feedback on the site or just a rant you want to share.
I’m looking forward to getting to know you guys! E-mail me at email@example.com!
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games!