the condom broke. now what?

Question: I had sex the other night and the condom broke!  How soon can I find out if I’m pregnant?

Answer: This sounds scary. A broken condom can definitely put a damper on a hot and heavy session, leaving you freaked out, instead of blissed out.  And really, latex in tatters just seems unfair. There you were trying to be responsible, and this is what you get?

So what’s a girl to do?

First of all, try to stay calm!  If you had sex in the last five days, you’ll be happy to know that you can take emergency contraception (EC) to help prevent a pregnancy from happening.

Some people call EC "the morning after pill."  I don’t use this term because not everyone has sex at night!  What if you have sex at lunch? Are you frantically going to look for the "evening after pill?" Will that cause a freak out when no one knows what you’re talking about?

So for me, EC it is.

EC is most effective if it’s taken within the first 72 hours after sex.  So you’ll want to act fast.  Some states offer it at drug stores without a prescription, but in others you’ll need to see a health care provider first. This might seem like a hassle, but it beats dealing with an unintended pregnancy.

If it’s been over five days, you might want to take a pregnancy test.  A lot of people wait until they miss a period, but some tests are accurate as soon as two weeks after sex. Pregnancy tests can be bought in a drug store and done at home.

Either way, it would be a good idea to get tested for STIs, because anything that could cause a pregnancy can also put you at risk for infections.

Good luck, take care, and make sure to always add extra lube to your condoms and check those expiration dates!

Got your own question for the expert? Send an email to feedback@gurl.com with the subject line: Question: sex ed blog.

Posted in: Ask an Expert, Health, Sex & Relationships
Tags: ,

1. avatarPrincess says:

I had sex ystrdy n d cndom broke ,m stl scared n i hvnt taken d EC yet ,ar d chances of me being pregnnt?

2. avatarabbie says:

i know exacly how that feels the same thing happend to me before and i didnt know what to do or who to tell, eventually i told my bestfriend and we put our money togeather to buy a test about 2-3 weeks after i had slept with my boyfriend. It turned out i wasnt pregnant, i dont know what i would have done if i was

3. avatarMarian says:

Don't worry once i had sex the condom broke once it got out and i was afraid. But all I could do was hope for the best and guess what I didnt turn out pregnant.

4. avatarmz me says:

i kno how dat feels…..im still scaried

5. avatarKristie says:

Whoever this does happen to, your not alone.
    My boyfriend and I had sex for our second time ever, and the condom broke.
    It was a sure thing I was going to be pregnant.
    We were both so extremely scared.
    My mom overheard us talking on the phone about our plans for the future of our child, and she bought me the EC.
    I'm not pregnant, and I'll tell you, ECs make you throw up.
    But it was worth it in the end.

6. avatarErin says:

Ugh, I know what that feels like. I had sex a few days ago and and the condom broke. Thankfully, I had just ended my period the week before. But, I missed two days of my birth control and had only been taking it for two days.
    Chances are, I'm not pregnant, but it's still scary!

7. avatarAshley says:

Ugh, broken condoms are the worst! It could happen to anyone, so we're lucky to have options like EC to keep us from stressing.