is it normal to bleed after sex if it isn’t your first time?

Question: Is it normal to bleed after having sex? It wasn’t my first time and I had some bleeding, so I was wondering…

Answer: Is it normal? Not exactly. Is it common? Yes. I have heard from lots of girls who experienced bleeding over the years. Sometimes the reason seems obvious. Maybe a girl got her period during sex, or right after. Maybe it wasn’t her first time, but her second or third, and her hymen was still stretching. Sometimes, though, the reasons for bleeding are a little trickier to figure out.

A few years ago, Angie, a girl I was training as a peer educator, told me that sometimes sex made her bleed. Sex didn’t hurt, and she made sure to use a lot of lube, but there was still spotting. I suggested a few possible causes, but none seemed right. Eventually, she went to her doctor, and after revealing that she also had really heavy, irregular periods, they figured out what was wrong. Angie had endometriosis, a condition where uterine lining (what your period is made of) was growing outside her uterus. With that information she was able to treat the real problem behind the symptoms, and as a result help the symptoms as well.

That was a pretty dramatic situation and endometriosis is by no means the most common cause of bleeding during or after sex. But it is helpful to know that there can be a lot of reasons for bleeding, even if it isn’t someone’s first time.

Here are a few more:

• A minor injury or chafing. Sometimes just going slower and using extra lube can help.
  • A more serious injury.
  • An allergic reaction to latex condoms or spermicide.
  • Getting a cut from a partner’s fingernail.
  • Having a vaginal infection, an STD, or a condition like pelvic inflammatory disease, or polycystic ovarian syndrome.
  • Sex shouldn’t be an injury inducing event. If you notice bleeding, like Angie, you might want to see a professional to help you figure out what is going on.

Got your own question for the expert? Send an email to feedback@gurl.com with the subject line: Question: sex ed blog.

Posted in: Ask an Expert, Down There, Health, Sex & Relationships, Hooking Up, STDs & STIs
    Tags: ,

1. avatarkarla says:

I have a two year old so if course I’ve had sex, but last night after sex I started bleeding and we used a condom. Please help me figure this out I’m scared and my insurance just expired so I can’t see a doctor.

2. avatarJackie says:

So I had sex the day after my period (yesterday ) and I noticed some bleeding. There wasn’t much during sex but this morning when I got up to pee I was bleeding a pretty significant amount. The blood is not the same as period blood so I’m assuming its not period related but I’m not too sure. Its been a year since I’ve had sex (up until now) and I have been tested for stds in the last year. Has anyone else had this problem?

3. avatarmaria says:

Hi, me and my boyfriend have been having plenty of sex but we haven’t for about two weeks and when we did I was bleeding way more from when I lost my virginity to him. Is that normal?

4. avatarTisa says:

Earlier today I had sex but it wasn’t my first time. It was my third time. The first 2 times I bled but it wasn’t much. Now I am bleeding very heavily. I don’t know if it was my muscle still ripping, or the fact that this males’ penis was much larger. Should I get it checked out?

5. avatarSandy says:

Hi; I’m 17 and I’ve had sex once with an asshole guy who was really rough; I know it’s common to bleed on the first time but now I’m really worried to have sex again with anyone; when I bled the first time I bled onto his sheets, I was so embarrassed and the guy just laughed; so now I’m scared to have sex again incase I bleed on the sheets and get embarrassed- will I bleed again? Please help

• avatarab says:

It is normal to bleed after 5-6 times of having sex. If you bleed after that Then you may want to confide in a doctor. The reason for all the bleeding is because the hymen is stretching after the 5 or 6 time the hymen should be gone. I was having sex with my boyfriend it was my second time and blood was everywhere. We looked it up and this is what we found hope this helps!

6. avatarLilly says:

This is my second week of having sex and last night me and my boyfriend were having sex and when hê told me hê was near[the moment where he's going to cum] hê went faster and harder and suddenly it felt like something burst inside it was kind of sore, so I jumped of and I felt at my vagina and I was bleeding, this is the day after I had sex and I’m still bleeding? Could you help me please, I’m 16years old and I am suppose to go on birth control this month but I don’t know if this is just spotting or is it my period that I’m having?

• avatarscared says:

Im 17 & ive had sex about 3 times , the first time i bled a lil and the second time i didn’t bleed the thrird time i bled but the third time was also rougher is this normal or should i get it checked out ?

7. avatarConfused Sierra says:

When I had my first time I didn’t bleed.. That was about 2 or 3 weeks ago. My partner fingered me and I started POURING blood. It’s been three days and I’m STILL BLEEDING. HELP! I’m scared it’s something serious because the blood is so heavy.

8. avatarDakota says:

So I had sex yesterday and I bleed afterwards but it’s not my first time having sex is that good or bad? Just curious someone reply back
      Sincerely a confused girl

9. avatarAllison says:

hey my situations kinda complicated im 17 and i have never gotten my period, but i am very active, i saw a women who said that it seemed like there was blood in my uterus and she gave me iron pills and she said that it should make me get it in about a month. Shortly after that i started having sex and i bled a little shortly after which i thought was normal a week later i spotted, the second time i spotted after i had sex only a little and the time i did, i tried again the next day and started bleeding when he fingered me i feel like this isnt normal and im nervous.

10. avatarterry says:

11. avatareva says:

hello, last week i got a cut in my vagina from my partners finger nail. i lightly spotted for a couple of days. yesterday i did not spot at all we had sex last night and today i am bleeding. i am due for my period but this looks like a brighter color blood??

12. avatarpriya rai says:

hi.. i had sex last week Saturday and it was my first time. i didnt bled really little the first day and then i started getting blood clots and still get them. is it a serious problem please help me out its been a week now n i cant even goo see the doctor

13. avatarRachael :( says:

I had just gotten off my period and I was raped and then the next day I had noticed that I was cramping and not bleeding but spotting. But I feel really sick all the time now. Will someone please help me idk what to do.

• avatarMaria says:

I’m sorry to hear that Rachel :( if you were raped I’m assuming it was really rough which is probably the reason for your bleeding he probably really damaged your vaginal walls..I’m not a doctor so it’s my personal opinion you should probably go see a doctor
        Wish you luck