if my boyfriend ejaculates in me and i don’t get pregnant, does that mean i can’t have kids?

Q: My boyfriend has ejaculated in me a few times and I’ve never gotten pregnant. Does this mean I can’t have kids?

A: No. If you’re not trying to get pregnant, it just means you’ve gotten lucky. And if you are trying to get pregnant, it most likely means you’re not having sex at the right time.

Pregnancy can only happen a few days out of the month. Specifically, this is when a woman is ovulating (releasing an egg).

Typically, a woman ovulates 14 days after the first day of her last period. In this scenario, sex the day before and the day of ovulation would be the most likely to result in pregnancy.

Of course, a lot of women’s bodies don’t follow this pattern. They might ovulate irregularly and not be able to calculate when it is going to happen.

Plus, sometimes sperm lives for a number of days inside a woman’s body just waiting for her to release an egg.  So even if you have sex many days before your period, pregnancy could still occur if this was the case.

If you don’t want to have a baby now, I’d recommend a reliable form of birth control like condoms or the pill. If you are trying to get pregnant, then it could be helpful to chart your periods for a few months to try to figure out when you are most likely to be ovulating.

If you’re still a teen, holding off on having a baby–even for a few more years–can make a big difference. Sure, there are success stories (Don’t count Jamie Lynn Spears yet. The jury’s still out on how she’s doing!) However, stories of really intense struggles are a lot more common from teen parents.

Posted in: Ask an Expert, Health, Sex & Relationships
Tags: ,

1. avatarliza says:

My husband ejaculate every time before my satisfaction,is this the cause that I m not pregnant still now…plz someon hlp me,I

2. avatarchristina says:

my boyfriend & i have had sex for the past 6 weeks every day he cums in me… my last period was 5 days late i took a test it was neg .. i dont think i can have kids im trying to have my first soon

3. avatarNozipho dladla says:

I hv boyfrnd we hv sex every day but i didnt get pregnent that means i wil never be the kids?

4. avatarThisGirl says:

I had sex with my boy and he came in me 2 times and then 2 days later I got my pd what Doe at his mean? I’m not prego or what

5. avatarMonica says:

I had sex with my boyfriend and he came in me the day I was suppose to start my period. I didn’t get my period till 3 days after. I’m confused because he came in me more then once that day but I didn’t get pregnant does this mean I can’t have kids should I be worried ?

6. avatartreauna says:

My boyfriend came in me alot of time wen we make love i waited it some weeks took a pregnancy test an went to the doctor an im still not pregnant n i haven’t had a period

• avatarNichole says:

What did your Doctor say? I’m in the same boat as you and I don’t understand it. Are you trying to get pregnant or just confused by what is or isn’t happening?

7. avatarDeserie says:

Me and my boyfriend had sex 2 weeks ago 3 days after I finished my period and he came in me after that day he kept on and came in me 6 more times . But today I did pee and it was just blood , does this mean I’m not pregnant?

• avatarjazmine donaldson says:

your not pregnant are you saying you went to pee after sex because if you did you are not pregnant

8. avatardanna says:

could be because there is a clear slimmy thing come before the discharge and i heard that it can get woman pregnant

9. avatargracie says:

Me and my boyfriend do it everyday and cums a lot in me and I’m stil not pregnant why is that?

10. avatarlex says:

I have been letting my boyfriend cum in me everytime we have sex, even when im on my period. Does this mean that I prolly cant get pregnant? I’m 18

11. avatarrose says:

i had unprotected sex with boyfriend the 22nd. we only did it for a few moments, and he did not cum in me because he came afterwards when i jerked him off. i got my period like a day early, there was a couple days of heavy bleeding and then light and mow its over, but im still afraid that i am. do you think i could still be pregnant?