can you get pregnant if you have sex on your period?

Question: Can you get pregnant if you have sex on your period?

Answer: If you had asked me that in 11th grade I would have given you a most certain “YES!” But, if you had asked me a year later I might have had more trouble answering. That’s because a doctor  had told me(incorrectly) that this just wasn’t possible.

Here’s what happened: My friend Gina called me in a panic late one Saturday night. She’d had drunken sex without a condom and wanted me to borrow my dad’s station wagon to take her to get EC at the hospital.

I managed to make up a convincing story, got the car and took Gina to the emergency room. After what seemed like endless waiting, we were seen by a doctor. He was in the process of getting Gina the medication when she asked when she should expect her period again, seeing as she had it right now.

Hearing that, the doctor told her not to bother with EC. “You’re not going to get pregnant if you had sex on your period,” he said.

Well, in subsequent years I’ve learned that this statement needs to be modified to, “It’s unlikely that you’ll get pregnant if you have sex when you have your period. But it’s not impossible.”

This is why:

It’s a risk partly because sperm have been known to live as long as seven days inside a woman’s body. If you ovulate soon after having your period, and had sex during it, you might still have living sperm hanging out in your fallopian tubes just waiting for you to release an egg!

So your best bet is to be as protected during your period as you would be at any other time during the month–whether or not your doctor is on board with that idea.

Got your own question for the expert? Send an email to feedback@gurl.com with the subject line: Question: sex ed blog.

This entry was posted in Ask an Expert, Health, Sex & Relationships.
Bookmark the permalink.

1. avatar kiesha says:

well i do it all the time, its better to do it win u r on it.we r tryin to have a baby.

2. avatar mzflakiss says:

wow i did not!!!!!no that i no tha….. but it seems dirty

3. avatar bre says:

i had sex with my period on and im not too sure if ill get pregant .But i sure dont wanna be .at first i didnt tell my dude that it was on cuz he wanted so bad so i just let him have it but afterward he had blood on his hand and now i know that he doesnt like it that way .

4. avatar Macaela says:

Yess, I heard you can but hun, PERSONALLY .. Why should any female have sex while their on their period? Now thats just called DIRTY. You actually will cum with blood .. Eww, How gross .. But yeah thats STINK AND NASTY!

5. avatar rocquell says:

thats really really nasty n trafland 2 me

6. avatar livvy says:

yes you can. yes. yep. yeah. yes siree

7. avatar courtney says:

yeah i heard both. u can get pregnant while on ur period and u can also have ur pregnant and never know u was pregnant. thats weird

8. avatar Tink says:

WOW!!! MY BESTFRIEND TOLD ME ABOUT THIS SHE SAID THAT HER AUNT HAD A PERIOD WHILE SHE WAS PREGNANT BUT I AINT KNO IT WAS POSSIBLE WOW!!! UM DONT KNO WAT TO SAY BOUT THAT I MEAN I HAVE DONE IT WHILE ON A FEW TIMES AND IT FELT GOOD! ITS LIKE A RELEASE TO ALL THE CRAMPS BUT LATELY I'VE BEEN HAVING VERY SHORT PERIODS JUST FROM DOING THAT!

9. avatar freaking out says:

omgosh are you serious! i thought i was just late…. shit thanks for that.. i’ll be at the drug store

10. avatar freaking out says:

omgosh are you serious! i thought i was just late…. shit thanks for that.. i'll be at the drug store

11. avatar crazy witch says:

If you're willing to clean up after it, yeah, you can have sex. Actually, when aroused, the flow of menstration stops I do believe. But don't let ANYONE fool you; you CAN get pregnant when on your period. Just because one egg is leaving doesn't mean another one hasn't taken its place. I would imagine that it's a little less likely because fertility is higher about a week and a half after your period, but it's still possible. But it can be very messy, so be careful. Definitely don't want to do it on the new Egyptian Cotton Sheets ;)

12. avatar moosha says:

i think that sounds nasty but some one i know did that befor

13. avatar Casey says:

Yey! I was right. Even though it is still really gross to do it when you're on it. EEeeew.

14. avatar candism says:

i think u can get a big belly.if u hae sex on ur period. i wouldnt recamend that u do that.

15. avatar amber says:

i agree u can get pregnant when u are on your period when i first lost my virginty my mom took me to a health class and you know how they play the sex movies and all that and a girl asked that same question and the answer to that question was yes you can get pregnant why on your pregnant and if you trying to have sex with a guy on your period thats just NASTY!!! you wouldnt have to worry about all that is u just do it the right way thats why i dont have those problems
    signing out: mz amber from LOUISIANA